FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does UAL.com now offer *A awards at the STANDARD level?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:42 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Why does UAL.com now offer *A awards at the STANDARD level?

Most FTers know that there is no such thing as a "standard" (i.e. double-miles-plus-some) award for *A partners...it's either offered at the Saver (e.g., cheap) level or not available at all. This is different from UA offering both Saver (restricted / lesser availability) and Standard (last seat availability) on own metal.

Why then do search results offer both a Saver and a Standard award then anytime space is open on a *A flight? They book into the same code (X/I/O). From what I can tell, there's no difference whatsoever (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The cynic in me says it's UA saying "why not" - if they can grab a few suckers to accidentally pay at the higher level, that's more mileage liability off their books. I'm guessing most people are smart enough to click the blue button as opposed to the gold button - but I'm sure some aren't.

The Standard award level button on all-*A award search results should be greyed / X'd out so it can't even be selected.