FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:16 am
travbod57

When I was travelling in 2007 I went to Japan and bought two japanese throwing stars for about a fiver each, and had them gift wrapped. I put them at the bottom of my backpack and continued on through Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore for 3 weeks before flying to Australia. I landed in Melbourne and our luggage got scanned again as we left the airport (I thought this weird at the time). However the machine beeped at my bag but I thought nothing of it. They asked whether I had anything in the bag that could have set the beeping off to which I replied no, completely forgetting about the throwing stars. Of course they got discovered and I looked like a right tit. They read me my rights and issued me a formal warning of which I have kept the documentation as a souvenir. They told me that legislation for this kind of offence had changed in the last 6 months and had this incident occurred 6 months earlier, I could be facing a jail term or up to $50,000 fine. A close shave. I think they took pity on me because firstly they were gift wrapped and secondly I said that if I were to bring a weapon into the country with the intention of causing harm, Japanese throwing stars would not be my weapon of choice!!