FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Post How Properties handle the SPG Platinum Breakfast Benefit introduced in 2012
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:08 am
ma91pmh

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by doctor15
The Fairfax, Washington DC

Offered choice of 500 points or continental buffet in their restaurant.

The restaurant had a buffet with an extensive amount of fruit, cereal, yogout, and pastries. They also had a few hot items (egg, sausage, bacon, and hash browns), but you have to pay $6 to upgrade the platinum breakfast for the hot items. This seemed very odd to only have part of the buffet, but it was actually on the menu this way ($18 for continental buffet and $24 for full buffet) and it seems this is the way they have always done it. I asked about ordering off the menu but was told that was not an option.

Overall, I am happy with this benefit as for $6 I was able to enjoy a better breakfast then what you would find in a lounge. The hotel also wins because I would have just run to a coffee shop otherwise. The whole arrangement is a bit strange though.
I am not sure what is strange about this. It sounds like a textbook example of how the hotel is supposed to implement a benefit of free continental breakfast with an option to buy up to a full breakfast for the price difference they would charge regular paying guests