FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else notice the new gate readers at ORD?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:57 am
ralfp

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I think people who try to use an iPad as their mobile BP are rare (it kinda defeats the purpose - why not just use your phone).
My cheap phone is not exactly suitable for the task (the lack of data connectivity is one issue), so not using my iPad would totally, not just kinda, defeat the purpose of the mobile BP.

That being said, pulling out a second device is silly. Since I'm usually waiting around with my iPad (connected via a MiFi in those backwater airports without free WiFi, e.g. ORD), pulling out a phone would be more annoying than using my iPad. I can and usually do slip a paper BP into the iPad case. Doing so would be faster and more sensible than pulling out a phone that I do not have .

I once used a netbook for this purpose, but that was mostly for the lulz.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
many iPhone users (perhaps one who are not frequent travelers) struggled when turning their phones upside down caused the barcode to jump around.
The iPad has a nice switch that fixes that problem. The switch is not necessary when using the CO (now UA) app, as it does not rotate.