FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anti-Semitic slur by Flight Attendant
View Single Post
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:05 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by AVIZ
I traveled to Las Vegas on Continental Flight 1569, along with a colleague of mine. We are both Orthodox Jews and wear yarmulkas which represent our Judaism. Upon boarding the flight we had a "typical" altercation with one of the other FA related to the overhead storage (my colleague attempted to help me stow my luggage, but the FA insisted that she do it). Okay, not a big deal - has happened before, will probably happen again.

We land in Las Vegas, deplane and head out to the car rental, when I notice I forgot a small item on board. All passengers had deplaned, so it was me, some ground staff, FA's and a pilot still gathering their belongings. As I'm walking down the jetway, I very clearly hear one of the FA's say to her colleagues "I hate Jewish people.. There I said it". Now the thing is, her back was to the plane (she was standing next to that door with the luggage chute), so she never saw me. I believe her colleagues were pretty shocked by the comments as they tried to get me in and out very quickly. When I came back off the airplane and came to my senses as to the severity of the comment, the FA was gone. I really don't know what I would have said to her. I can't remember ever feeling so appalled.

I am not one looking for media attention or even for this woman to lose her job. I truly believe that this is related to the airlines poor training and again, a lack of human beings being able to accept each other, regardless of religion and race. I will forward this letter to the powers that be at United, in hopes that before they invest money into fancy planes and iPhone apps , they get back to teaching the basics of how to treat a customer and fellow human being.

AVIZ
Is it because of the airline's poor training, or is it because the individual lacks tact and/or is a complete moron? As a fellow Jew, surely the airline cannot vet every single employee to see if they are biggots against one or more groups of people. If I had heard that remark, I prolly would've turned around and said I hate old, crotchy, FAs, but that wouldn't have gotten me very far. You can try to help correct ignorance, but you cannot help people that don't want to be helped. Best to let CO/UA deal w/ the employee.