FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business/First class flight from NYC-HNL
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:03 pm
inlanikai

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Yes, i meant on the HA flights.
I dont want to fly from ewr since its too far from me.
Im trying to book F using AA miles.
So far I have booked 2 tix in First on 4 different flights on this route using AA miles. As I travel r/t NYC to HNL 3 times a year this n/s is 3 hours shorter each way then AA through DFW (ORD-HNL is seasonal only). First and coach award seats using AA miles draw from HA's Partner award inventory which is T in coach and D (according to my confirmations) in First. T is viewable on Expertflyer but D is not. But, if you have or sign up for a Hawaiian Miles FF account, you can log in and do a dummy booking for awards to see what might be available for your desired dates. For F awards between JFK/HNL, the HA table needs to show a 40,000 miles availability, not 80,000. The 40K award on the HA site is what you can get for 37.5K with AA miles when you call AA.

One thing to note. Make sure you set the number of passengers on the HA site equal to how many award tickets you want. HA on this route seems to initially make either one or two seats available for their 40K F award. If they have only one available and you want two it will tell you that each seat is 80K even though one is available at 40K, or 37.5K at AA. But, in my experience, they changed the available award Partner inventory from one in F to two about two weeks after the inventory first got put into the system 330 days out. Just keep checking every day and have some flexibility on dates.

Other than this, I'm not experienced with HA awards they way others are in this forum. But when it comes to the new JFK/HNL routes this has been my experience. The HA site reduced mileage availability (or not) corresponds exactly to what AA says they have available for awards. For me, I'll take a n/s flight that is three hours less without a connection over a route that may have a better seat for part of the ride. Although the AA 763 is not a true 180 lie-flat but a lie-straight "wedgie seat".

Good luck.