FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:07 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
Have I found an error? If so, my answer is a great answer!

Didn't Southwest leave 4 or more airports?
Detroit is counted because it left Detroit City Airport even though it now operates out of Detroit Metro. Therefore, it is the airport we are counting.

Denver did leave Denver Stapleton. I think when they returned to Denver, the current DIA was open and Stapleton was closed.

There are still more airports. Austin, Texas opened a new civilian airport at the site of an old air force base. Southwest moved when that happened.

Southwest also took over Morris Air Transport, Muse, and AirTran. Some AirTran markets will be shut down though they would not have operated under the Southwest name.

Brownie point for me?
Good points all! I was looking for specific airports where Southwest made a voluntary business decision to end service and then never returned. BPT, IAH and DET all qualify in this regard. These airports are obviously still there.

At AUS, WN did not have a choice if they wanted to continue to serve Austin. All the air carriers had to move to the old Bergstrom Air Force Base. And the same holds true with regard to Denver Stapleton. Also note that the three letter code for both airports did not change.

And, of course, with regard to AirTran, I was specifically talking about Southwest in a historical sense as this the "Old Timer's" quiz, although your point about Morris Air and Muse/TranStar are noted.

So, yes, you get the brownie point!