FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:27 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Hi jlemon,

When you were working in Hawaii, weren't there some Martins and DC-3s flying for an inter-island carrier called DHL Island Airways? Circa 1979?
Excellent questions....and I honestly do not recall seeing them. Were these aircraft being used for interisland cargo operations?

One thing I will always remember is watching a CP Air DC-10-30 depart from the vantage point of the Mahalo Air hangar across airfield from the HNL terminal. There was a driving tropical rainstorm in progress at the time and the DC-10 roared down the runway anyway. We noted that departures were then halted until the extremely heavy downpour and high winds associated with the intense squall abated......

BTW, my first and only flight on board a Martin 404 was on a Southern Airways flight from MEM to HSV back in the mid 60's. Southern then acquired their first DC-9s shortly after that and thus never operated a similar sized turboprop such as the Fairchild F-27 or Convair 580.....

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:32 am