View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 12, 6:27 am
whimike

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Why? Does status give you better availability for buying "Saver" fares rather than "Flex" fares? Should I be upset that your ex-Nairobi fare in Business Class is 1/3 the price per mile flown of my ex-Accra fare in Economy Class? This is no different. Different horses for different courses.

My local station (Accra) offers upgrades to Dubai at check-in for $1000 one-way. This is available to anyone, status or not, subject to availability of seats and catering. Other stations have similar local programs to boost revenue. Indeed, most airlines have some sort of similar program nowadays.

A status customer has published benefits and your benefits are not being eroded by this program. Your benefits ARE being eroded elsewhere. Better to focus on requesting your actual benefits than inventing a perceived slight on something you weren't "entitled" to in the first place.
Everybody can buy the same fares, everybody has the option of upgrading their fare to the next class of service (if paying the fare difference), everybody with a J ticket can go in the business lounge. That is all the norm, and consistent with every airline.

There is no reason to by upset about the cost of fares for different Origins/Destinations as it is typically competition among airlines that cause the prices to be what they are.

The fare difference between Y an J from ACC -> DXB is $1,400 each way, so a $1,000 offer is reasonably consistent with nearly paying the fare difference. In the case of LAX -> DXB, or DXB -> SFO, when the offer from EK is $750 to upgrade and the fare difference is over $5,000 each way, then this is a very special offer, and it is only available to those people that are targeted.

When EK does decide to offer upgrades via e-mail I have stated that it is frustrating to me that they don't send them out with any preference to status customers. If nothing else, it would be interesting to hear the reason they have decided to do it this way.