FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice - centrally located hotel importance?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:38 am
opus2002

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The Starwood properties are located in the centro storico of Florence. They are a few minutes on foot (maybe 10?) from Piazza and they are far, far more convenient to sites than the Holiday Inn - which requires a 20 minute bus ride to get to the same area.

Ultimately the issue of 'central' location is relative. There is a strong argument to be made, for example, to avoid staying close to Piazza San Marco in Venice - precisely b/c of the crowds, tourist trap restaurants, etc... associated with that area.
Indeed the issue of "central" locations is relative. Sounds like for Florence then, the Starwood hotels are much better choice than the Holiday Inn, but for Venice, a centrally located hotel might than be so ideal. Over 10 years ago, I stayed pretty far from San Marco, as I was on a cheap tour group. I don't think I missed out too much.

Originally Posted by tyn
I'd say a 15 minute walk from the Excelsior to Piazza della Signoria and another 5+ minutes from there to Santa Maria del Fiore.

Personally I would choose to stay in Piazza Ognissanti anyway because I love looking out of the window and seeing the church of San Frediano reflecting in the Arno
Do you find it noise if you're in a busy area overlooking the church? Any recommended hotel in there?