FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comcast internet... and follow-up question re wireless routers et al
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:57 am
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Comcast internet... and follow-up question re wireless routers et al

(I'm putting in Travel Tech because I often need to reliably connect while on the road to my Pogoplug etc.)

I currently have Qwest (or whatever their name is now) DSL and I'm tiring just a bit of, at best, 5Mbps. Qwest and Comcast are the only really players where I am, and there is no fiber optic option (there are a couple of Wimax-type options but I'm not counting those because of sketchy reports on DSLreports.com and because they can't assure me that they will work with Ooma VOIP).

If I'm going to make a switch, I want to put the cable outlet in the closet of my study (it has plenty of good ventilation) and be able to move all my router-connected stuff there from the kitchen (which will make Mrs. cblaisd happy ).

Comcast has a special for new customers of a claimed "up to" 20 Mbps (with Powerboost, whatever that is) for $30, no contract, going to $45 after six months. Googling for other discounts is a miserable experience with many many hits for what is basically the same re-seller page.

(My DSL -- long out of contract -- is currently also $30/month, so this is a speed issue only)

If the Comcast installer arrives and refuses to put the outlet in the closet, I'll just cancel, but for whatever tiny bit it's worth the online chat rep assured me that the installer would put it "wherever you want."

I would appreciate any thoughts on the above, or if you know a better deal!

I'm not very interested in bundling (although if there was a decent tv offer -- that's better than what's on their webpage, $70/month for both internet/tv for a year, going to $89 after one year, two year contract, I might be mildly interested).

I've heard that "everything's negotiable" (particularly when you intimate you're dumping a competitor) but I find talking to the order folks akin to dentistry without anesthesia.