FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to buy the AAA replicas in Beijing?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:41 am
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by trueblu
Rather OT to this discussion: I don't like fakes, and don't buy them. However, I can't seem to find decent quality non-fake items (i.e. unbranded).

Let's say my wife wants to buy a new, chic, handbag. Options: a) buy a designer bag for say, $1000, b) buy cheap knock-off for $50 -- but this will fall apart within a week, and looks terrible, c) buy good quality fake for $150 (I'm guessing). (b) and (c) don't appeal.

Can one buy a good quality unbranded non-fake for $150 -- i.e. with decent craftsmanship and materials, but no fake logos? Surely if (c) exists, the skills exist to have something decent that doesn't have a brand associated with it.

I guess the problem is that Chinese have become so brand concious, as opposed to style concious, that if there isn't a logo, it's not worth paying decent money for it...

tb
I also do not buy fakes and don't give a rosy rat's @ss if people look down upon me for having no designer items or "designer" items. When I need something good quality at a reasonable price, I go to a middle-class or upper-middle class department store like Landao (Blue Island) and look for a solid Chinese brand. These won't be market cheap, but are usually built solidly and can be good value especially if a sale is going on. I've bought coats, purses, and household goods there that several years on, are still going strong. Not sure who's out in Haidian that is similar to a Landao, but bound to be something. You have a Parkson's out there? Places like Ritan Office Building (actually a collection of boutique stores near the south gate of Ritan Park) can have nice quality things at mid-range prices, and are more "chic" than the department stores. All these sorts of places don't bargain as per the markets, but if buying several items, it's always OK to ask if there are any "special discounts" going on that day.

ETA: corrected the typo as pointed out by moondog. At least I got the second reference right! Lanbao is a residential/business complex in a different location-not where you want to go!

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm