FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Award Ticket
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:03 am
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by gvlmike
Good morning!

I am a long time lurker and I have enjoyed reading the threads over the couple of years. I now need some advice/answers on a couple of award related questions.

I have the current award reservation booked:

GSP-IAD (UA Y)
IAD-LHR (UA F)
LHR-JNB (SA C)

JNB-LHR (SA C)
LHR-EWR (CO C)
EWR-GSP (CO Y)

The total ticket was 135,000 miles (75,000 + 60,000) plus taxes.

There is a flight I would like to take now where space just opened (LX C/F) from LHR-ZRH-JNB, except it leaves the day after my originally scheduled departure out of LHR. My current layover in LHR is 10 hours and this change would add a stopover on my journey since the layover changes to 31 hours.

So my questions:

1. Is changing this flight allowed?

After reading various other threads, I assume this is allowable since I can have one stopover on my award ticket and space is available.

2. Will this ticket require any additional mileage?

Since I am flying TATL in F on my way to JNB, I assume no additonal mileage is required even though my European to South Africa flight was originally C but will now be F. I am not sure if adding a stopover changes the mileage required.

3. Will there be any fees associated with this change?

I am assuming no since I am not changing my origin or destination, just changing the SA flight to a LX flight departing a day later, which results in a stopover. My flight is more than 21 days away. I do understand there may be additional taxes.

I am very eager to try out LX F, even if it is the "old" F (I have never flown F before...I have flown C a number of times). I am also happy to have the opportunity to visit London since this city is always escaping my mind when I travel to Europe. Therefore, any advice/answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
1. Yes. Your read is correct.
2. No. Looks like you're paying the F rate USA-Africa already.
3. You may get hit with the change fee since you're adding a stopover. If you were just keeping it as a connection, it would be no problem, but this one is debatable.

You may want to play the change as "first seats opened up and I'm on a first class award, so I'd like to grab those seats" and see if the agent misses the stopover add. If they say there's a fee, pushing back may help, but I don't think you have terribly solid footing as you are adding a destination (via stopover).