FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airline new sponsor of US Open tennis tournament
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:46 am
yoonny

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Completely off topic, but I paid about $200 for a Saturday evening ticket at the US Open a couple of years ago. It was supposed to start at 7pm

The afternoon session had a mammoth 5 setter (Roddick against someone), and didn't finish until 9:30pm.

So, I got to my seat at 10pm, and then had to watch some crappy presentation to the family of some tennis star who'd died about 20 years earlier.

The tennis started at 10:40pm, and I had to leave at 11:00 to get the last train back
Those late night matches usually are classic... The starting times @ US Open are only suggested times as there are no many variable that would impact the matches and starting times. I love it when there are couple of rainout days b/c then you get to see top players in the more intimate courts.

You can never really "buy" those lower level tix b/c they are pretty much given to the sponsors. So Emirates will have hundreds of tix to hand out to VIPs and its employees.