FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airline new sponsor of US Open tennis tournament
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:09 pm
kyym

Programs: Current: UA 1K, AA EXP; BA Silver; Former: EK Gold (2004-11), LH SEN (2007-14)
Interesting - they used to sponsor the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament (Masters 1000 series) the last couple of years, and I didn't see them on the sponsor list this year and was wondering if they felt it did not pay off.

But I see now that they have upped the ante, and are doubling down on their tennis investments for nationwide exposure.

Probably my best experience as a long-term Skywards Gold member was a complimentary invitation to the Emirates Box at Indian Wells last year to see the men's quarter finals (saw Djokovic and Federer in the singles and Federer again in the doubles with Wawrinka against Nadal/partner!).

Great experience - the motif was "First Class Service", champagne service on walking in (by crew flying to LAX who were dedicated to working at the event), and lots of great food/drink to go with the tennis.

Most of the invitees were travel agents/consolidators - I got to go with an EK staff member who was a friend, but it was probably easier for him to get me the invitation since I was a long-term EK Gold card holder.

This is now my first year in 9 years that I'll drop out of Gold status...but I will probably still try to make one EK J RT to India once my 1K and SEN qualifications for the year are done (especially in my 'off' year for SEN qualification). The SFO lounge is an added incentive!