FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair Spa & Sauna in Helsinki
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:20 am
intuition
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by timol
I always thought an airport spa is an excellent idea that has real demand under some circumstances but not in the case of AY/HEL.

Take LHR, for example. I have enjoyed BA's shower+lounge enormously in the last 10+ years when connecting from LH to SH. Typical LHR connecting times (quite often more than a couple of hours) give ample time for a relaxed shower, getting changed, some breakfast and reading morning papers. A spa could well complement these and fill even more of the long wait.

Then take HEL. Connecting times before and after the Asian wave are so good that the time needed for a relaxed spa visit just is not there. Before an ex-HEL flight, who (apart from FTers) would arrive early at the airport just to visit the spa? I have only visited once, when connecting from a morning SH to a late evening LH and doing other things in town in between.
Bummer, we should ask for lousy connections so we can enjoy the spa!

Well, on the serious side, you are quite right. I never though there was a back side to short connections, but there you have it! I have been a bit disturbed that I have not been able to use it as much as I'd like. I actually have skipped first connection so that I would have a few hours to relax at HEL (the NRT-HEL-sweden will work for that, as it arrives to HEL in daytime.)
But for most asian flights, they are nighttime and outside the opening hours of the SPA.

Short connections and night flights are ++ in my book, and SPA sadly then comes in second place. But, I hope it is maintenance, and it will be back in march or so!