FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California to Chennai and back - Refundable Fare question.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:26 pm
uastarflyer
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Supratik
Wow, thanks much for running those dates for me; how the heck did I miss that? I'm a big fan of going over the Pacific; FRA and Lufthansa are definitely giant pains (I have terrible memories of landing in FRA and disembarking straight onto the runway and just barely making my connecting flight as they make you go through security again).

I've always had positive feelings towards Singapore (though I took them ~2 years ago and was on a dreadfully old 747; hopefully they've finished their upgrades by now). Going to play around with their dates and such.
SQ is almost done getting rid of the 747. I suggest the A380 via LAX-NRT-SIN or else hop up to SFO and take the very well regarded 77W via HKG/SIN. On way back the india flight lands in SIN early AM, then can connect back via HKG to SFO or NRT to LAX.

The key reason I flew United loyally for 8-10 years (besides avoiding Lufthansa) was the 100% extra mileage bonus for Premier Executive or 1K, and the fact I could upgrade to Biz for 30,000 miles one-way or use a SWU all the way up to SIN.

Since they have cut the RDM bonus miles to 50%, made the 30,000 miles upgrade come with another $600 copay, and are undercutting SWUs with cheap paid upgrades, I am giving all future bookings (not just to India, but Asia generally) to Singapore Air.