FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California to Chennai and back - Refundable Fare question.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:46 pm
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Supratik
Thanks - lots of valuable information! Honestly, I have *never* seen the "buy with money, upgrade with miles" option become available on United's site for any of the flightpaths I've ever flown, even when booking 6-8 months in advance. If I want to use miles to get on the upgrade list, where exactly do I go about doing this? I've encountered the whole "Pay 30k miles and 400 dollars" thing at the check-in counter, but is there any way to do this online?
If you're booking on the CO website, yes. You can request the mileage upgrade as part of the booking process (it's a checkbox in the Advanced search). If it shows as not available, then you have to book the ticket in coach, wait until it's ticketed, and then you can go into the reservation where you will see a link to Upgrade. If it's still not available, you will be able to waitlist here. I have no idea what the UA website is capable of But since you posted in the PMCO forum, that's the advice I'm giving.

Lastly, is the United policy of giving 150% EQM on refundable tickets still in effect? I can clearly see 150% listed when I try to book things through Continental, but I can't find any information regarding this on United's site.
Well, see above for CO vs. UA. But in general the EQM or RDM bonus depends on the fare class booked. Historically, only Y/B coach fares received the 150% EQM. Going forward, it doesn't seem that they've published the specific fare bucket class. I actually only see the RDM bonus table (without fare buckets), not the EQM (now called PQM) table.
http://onepassmergerupdates.com/en/o...ogramOverview? It's probably a safe assumption that a Y/B fare will still earn 150% PQMs.