FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion re: resolution asking Internet Brands to implement wiki-posts on FlyerTalk
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:50 pm
essxjay
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I think this concept would be best suited for car rental and hotel forums (and I can only think of the "discount code threads" - or a master index thread of hotel reviews, which some moderators already do a great job of handling).
It's less a matter of befitting particular forums as it is befitting particular threads. Not every thread will need the wiki feature activated but for threads that would benefit I say let the spontaneous order prevail.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The 'down'/'scary' side to wikis is the opportunity they present for bad actors and/or asshats to abuse them by deleting relevant information and/or posting false information.
I understand the worry but let's not overstate the propensity for malicious intent or irreparable harm. On SD and FW, anyway, it's a snap to restore earlier revisions. In a decade of near daily lurking on SD I could count on one finger the number of true hit and runs on wikis (and the mods put a cap in that azzhat post haste!). Unintentional edits happen but anyone can come along a fix it, no fuss no muss.