FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:28 pm
pboae

Excess Baggage Charges - Help!

I'm really struggling with AA Baggage allowances and charges, there are so many variations and permutations now, I'm finding it incomprehensible.

First, I recently flew UIO>MAN>UIO. Before I flew I checked the website and as I understood it my free checked baggage allowance was 1 x 23kg, and I could take an extra bag for $30. I wanted to check the extra bag for the return journey (MAN>UIO) but the first leg (MAN>LHR) was a codeshare with BA, who insisted I had to pay their charges of £40 (approx $60).

I haven't taken it up with AA yet, as I guess I will have to do it here in Ecuador in Spanish, so I want to check with you guys what the charge should actually have been before I attempt it. (My Spanish is pretty bad!).

Second, I now need to book a flight from UIO>Tokyo. AA have convenient flights to NRT, but I cannot work out the baggage allowance. Would it be the more generous 2 x 23kg for to/from Japan, or the more restrictive 1 x 23kg to/from South America? If I want to take a 3rd bag, what would the cost be for that?

Is there a general assistance number I can call from overseas to ask about baggage allowances, or would I just need to call reservations?

Any help or advice will be most gratefully received!