FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion re: resolution asking Internet Brands to implement wiki-posts on FlyerTalk
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:33 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Four years later, FT still can't have it....

This is the 4-year-old thread over Suggestions Forum for this long-overdue feature:

Wiki posts in threads

Back in 2008 when the idea was first thrown out on FT, wikiposts had been implemented on both Slickdeals and Fatwallet with great success for months, if not years. We are not talking about a beta product here. When both Slickdeals and Fatwallet are using vBulletin that IB owns, I didn't, and still don't, get why FT can't make it happen as of today when others have been sailing so smoothly with wikiposts for at least 4 years.

I am not a IT person so I have no idea if wikiposts being a plugin vs. integrated feature plays any factor in IB Development Team decision to resist FT's improvement. I only know as an end user, wikiposts are of tremendous help when utilizing a website with rich info and tips. I would think FT is one of such websites. If (not investing) money talks louder than improving users' experience for IB, I really don't know what else to say.

As a user, I am familiar with how wikiposts work on Slickdeals. On top of my head, there are two things I like about Slickdeals wikiposts:

1. Sandbox Capacity:
Every user can edit and update wikiposts before they are comfortable and/or confident enough to "publish" it. They don't have to worry about "ruining" the wikiposts since they can always reverse it back to the previously existing posts when making mistakes.

Let's be honest, not every FTer is as tech-savvy. Some don't even know how to edit their own plain text posts, let alone wikiposts that may contain some "advanced" syntax such as bolding, color, font size, (embedded) hyperlinks...etc.

2. Disabling "activated" wikiposts:
Even wikiposts are a board-wide feature on Slickdeals, not every thread has an "empty" 2nd post as wikiposts. Meaning wikiposts are only created when users "activate" such feature in threads. Not every thread needs a wikipost.

OTOH, everyone can edit wikiposts. Occasionally, some users become naughty and/or personal that turn wikiposts sidetrack or deemed unuseful. When that does happen, the admin or mod can disable wikiposts in say threads. So the discussion can stay on-topic and uninterrupted.

When FT finally has the wikiposts, I think we should have the above two capacity as well. I'll chime in again when I have something to add.

Last edited by lin821; Feb 8, 2012 at 9:44 am Reason: typo