FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Valid Star Award Routing
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:46 pm
Pingtung

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by encierro98
I also had a couple questions about my proposed award routing JNB to IAH and before I call into the call center I thought I would get your advice.

I have several different routing options I am still tinkering with and wanted to see if they were all valid.

Option 1 – It is quite long but it allows me to see friends in Perth and Hong Kong, plus I have never been to that side of the world, and don’t often have the chance because most of our holiday time is spent going back to South Africa to see family.

1) JNB to PER (13:25) on SA biz
2) Stay overnight in PER with friends
3) PER (07:35) to SIN (12:50) on SQ biz 772
4) Overnight stop in SIN
5) SIN (7:35) to HKG (11:20) on SQ biz
6) Overnight stop in HKG with friends
7) HKG (9:55) to NRT (14:45) on NH biz
8) NRT (17:00) to SFO (8:55) on UA first or alternatively 25 minutes later on NH biz
9) SFO to IAH whatever

Option 2 -skips the Perth stop and save quite a bit of time
1) JNB to HKG (12:25) on SAA biz
2) Overnight stop in HKG
3) HKG (9:55) to NRT (14:45) on NH biz
4) NRT (17:00) to SFO (8:55) on UA first or alternatively 25 minutes later on NH biz
5) SFO to IAH whatever

Option 3 - goes through Europe
1) JNB – ZRH on LX first (if I can get it)
2) ZRH – States on LH F or LX F or UA F

How does UA First compare to CO BF product. I know CO BF product is a Business product, but if my only options are UA F or CO biz is it worth the extra miles to go UA F? I would like to try something but I really don’t mind CO BF.

Anyway any opinions or advice is appericated
Options 1 and 2 won't work - they fall well above the 12585 limit for MPM +15%. I wouldn't spend more for UA F if it would be the only F flight and there is CO BF available. You're more likely to find UA F award space though.