FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2016] Report your Diamond Suite Upgrade success here :)
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:17 pm
Beckles
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I am going back in Mid-March and the WIT is sold out (I know I could do a diamond force but the rate is high and since they are sold out that means no rooms for an upgrade) as are a couple other properties but the Palmer House still had lot of inventory on hilton.com

Just wondering how they are treating upgrades since the new policy? I have gotten some nice upgrades in the past and wasn't sure if they were doing suite upgrades now or not.
I disagree with one of your basic premises, that a sold out hotel decreases the liklihood of an upgrade, in my experience a sold out hotel increases the liklihood of getting an upgrade.

I believe many hotels when sold out have not in fact sold out of premium rooms/suites, but rather they've oversold their standard rooms by so much that they've not sold premium rooms/suites knowing they'll use them for upgrades, and as an elite member, the hotel is likely to upgrade you to those rooms. I've received my best upgrades at sold out hotels because of this.

In other words, if you a do a Diamond Force at a sold out hotel, I think your chances of an upgrade are even higher than normal, not lower.