FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Book now, hope to upgrade with Avios?
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2012, 8:52 am
simonspear

Originally Posted by nwmgc
Every other Christmas we travel to SAN and I was very pleased when direct flights resumed last year. For the last few years I have successfully booked and upgraded to CW with miles to any of LAX, SFO or PHX. At the time of writing, only AA flights to LAX have reward availability (in business), none at all to or from the others - let alone SAN!
Question is: shall I book WT+ to SAN for money now and hope (i.e. roll the dice) that upgrades with Avios become available, or grab the AA flights to LAX now?!

All opinions welcome...
I've been looking at the west coast and LAX specifically over the last six months for a couple of trips and for some reason the seats in this area are not being released at 355 days - there actually appears to be a 1 - 2 month 'lag' on availability.

I booked a F redemption for Aug/Sep and at the time I couldn't believe how few seats were available in F or CW. A month or two after 355 and availability was back to 'normal'.

I'm now looking for a Jan 2013 F or CW redemption and once again availability is virtually zero (or it was yesterday). Based on recent patterns I'm hoping availability should start to show up towards the end of this month.....