FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:04 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I know I flew one of them back in 1980. That was aboard Air France. Unfortunately by 1980 the upstairs lounge had been replaced with economy seating and the flight down to MEX was too short to be served one of Air France's more elaborate meals. Still, it was alot of fun.

I'm fairly certain the other airline was KLM. I think I have a First Class menu from them off that route, AMS-IAH-MEX.

I just happen to have a PNA pin in my jacket lapel while sitting here aboard Alaska #35 cruising high above Montana. Pacific Northern operated a couple of Boeing 720s (or was it those 707-139s originally built for Cubana?). I'm pretty sure the schedules indicate 720s, and PNA's primary market was Seattle up to Alaska.

Finally, regarding my two unanswered questions, the reason Braniff had to repaint its lavender colored 720 was because that color is considered bad luck in Mexico, a primary market for BN 720s at the time.

Ozark's First Class table linens were at one time yellow with green napkins.
Air France for sure with a B747-200 CDG-IAH-MEX. I recall seeing this aircraft at IAH when I was in high school. I'm not sure what the other carrier was but it may well have been KLM. Pan Am also flew IAH-MEX but they, of course, were a U.S. flag carrier. BTW, before IAH opened for business, I remember seeing KLM DC-8 aircraft at HOU.

Pacific Northern operated the B720 and their primary market was SEA-ANC plus other Alaskan destinations.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 3, 2012 at 7:09 am