FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trouble swiping the Sapphire Preferred Card?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:04 pm
civico

Sapphire Preferred in the a Japanese machine

Originally Posted by keirnna
This card simply doesn't work in numerous Japanese POS machines and notably will not work in any NEXCO expressway payment boxes. I thought it was because the card was metal, if you ask Chase will send you a completely lame, standard, plastic, embossed version of the card. Problem is it still has something goofy with the magnetic strip and while I have not had any problems with it since ditching the metal version in Japanese PoS machines, the plastic version still refuses to work on the expressway. I'm loosing out on thousands of x2 points for travel in tolls each month thanks to this thing not working. I asked that a trouble ticket be submitted, but I was probably ignored. My Chase UA and Hyatt cards all work fine and they have a more traditional magnetic strip.

I went through 3 metal cards before I switched to the plastic. Each would work in all machines and then slowly stop working until they wouldn't work in any Japanese infox/etc POS machines. So frustrating. Even worse is that since Japanese people almost never use credit cards no one knows how and/or is unauthorized to manually enter a credit card number. I literally met the first Japanese person in my entire life on a recent hotel stay that knew how to manually enter a card, but it still didn't work.
I've also had problems here and there in Japan. The weird thing is that it will work on day at Seiyu (Japan's Walmart) and then the next day, it won't. They will try over and over again, but to no avail. I've even had a lady manually punch in the numbers and for some reason, it STILL didn't work. That baffles me to no end, seeing as it worked the day before by swiping. Weird, and a bit annoying.