FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - should we switch to a different airline?
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:41 pm
5khours

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Here are some "highlights" you will get over at Delta:

1. Top tier (DM) requires 125k not 100k like UA
2. As a DM (top tier) I had far less domestic upgrades than on UA
3. Delta requires YBM to upgrade internationally with a SWU or miles. TATL = $2800-$3500 lowest and TPAC = $3500-$4800 lowest (not a joke...no matter what your status this is what you have to pay to "upgrade").
4. MM on Delta gets you nothing ..well ok, it gets you silver (like I said...nothing) and you get no SWU's
5. Awards on Delta can be had but for ridiculous amounts. Just tried to book BOS-HKG in J and it came back with 550,000 miles.

The grass is not greener over there anyway. I was a Plat for 6 years and then a Diamond since its inception (3 years) so I have a pretty major sample size to work with.

As a final data point I am still a Diamond on Delta and will be for another 2 years (rollover). I STILL am choosing to fly UA FWTW.
+1. I came over to UA after 2MM on DL. Avid is spot on.

UA is not as good as it used to be but my SWUs still clear 95%+ of the time even if it is not at ticketing. I try to fly mid-week which helps. On award tickets, there is pretty good availability close in so you might want to try that rather than booking 9 months out. No one likes the uncertainty, but I find if you just ignore it, things usually work out pretty well.