FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use of Kindle on BA
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:13 am
smokie36

Programs: BA Silver
Use of Kindle on BA

As this is hopefully the only serious thread I'll make on this forum I'd like to start by reminding you of a couple of things.

"Please turn off your electrical items during take off and landing"

"To fly to serve"

I travelled today on the delayed LGW-JER flight in CE.

While we were grounded waiting for the go ahead I was using my Kindle.

Before take off the purser asked me to switch off the device which I complied with, turning it into standby mode.

He then queried this as he clearly thought I hadn't switched it off properly. I told him it was as switched off as it could be and he wandered off grumbling about checking on that.

A few minutes after take off I turned my Kindle back on and continued reading until about ten minutes before landing when his female cabin crew member told me to switch it off.

After she left I switched it back on in order to finish the chapter I had been reading (now I know I shouldn't have...but it would only have taken a minute or so..)

The purser came to my seat and said "You are really taking the piss now"

I told him not to speak to me in that manner and he proceeded to lecture me on the use of electrical devices by which time I was fuming and turned away to look out of the window.

Of course I complied with their request for the rest of the flight.

But here is the rub for me...although I had been abused by the cabin crew already, on leaving the plane the female cabin crew member was saying "Goodbye" to all the passengers and I chose to ignore this as I didn't want to get into an argument angry as I was she added "Or not" as I passed down the stairs.

There was no need for such incendiary nonsense and quite frankly the attitude of this crew was appalling.

So can someone please tell me what BA's policy is regarding the use of Kindle's onboard is because I've never had a problem using one before with any other airline. Oh and yes I have the 3G function switched off during flight.

Last edited by smokie36; Jan 29, 2012 at 11:18 am