FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Annoyed Do You (or I) Have To Be
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:42 pm
jspira

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
How Annoyed Do You (or I) Have To Be, , , in order to ask to switch hotel rooms? (or even hotels)
First, I'd like to ask for a link to your article on user interface where you included the faucet photo.

But I digress.

To directly answer your question, my response is "annoyed enough to know I will not sleep well or function well in the room."

Case in point: last week I stayed at a reasonably elegant hotel in Philly for three nights. I always check for elevator and possible ice machine locations to ensure I am away from any possible noise and, as the bellman brought me to my room, I asked about the ice machine, as we had passed a door labeled "ice machine" walking to my room.

He assured me it was nowhere near my room and I took him at his word.

He was wrong.

At night, I heard something cycling on and off (the room's ultra high-tech HVAC thumped when it turned cycled - and it cycled very frequently to boot). I couldn't figure it out until the next day.

It was the ice machine.

Despite the fact that the machine was behind not one but two doors, it was actually placed in a room that shared a wall with the wall my bed was against.

The hotel immediately moved me to a similar (but slightly larger) "executive room." The bellman who helped me move was sympathetic to noise issues and detected a fan noise in the bathroom before I had a chance to look around. It was a loud noise coming from the roof (top floor of the hotel).

So he went downstairs to speak to the MOD and a third room (apparently the last available room in the hotel) was found.

It was smaller but it was quiet. Very very quiet.

The hotel comp'd one night without my asking and also (again without my asking) gave me 5000 additional points.