FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are travel blogs losing their creativity and going downhill?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:31 am
Astrophsx

Are travel blogs losing their creativity and going downhill?

Just trying to move this topic out of which is the best travel blog:

I think most who post on Flyertalk are very passionate about travel and point/miles collecting. One great resource can be reading travel blogs. Flyertalk and Milepoint cover so many topics it can be very easy to miss helpful information and sometimes the use of travel blogs can help one not miss out on this information.

I think Rick over at Frugal Travel Guy for some reason or another has set some standards for travel blogging.

1) Post every single day

2) Posting of credit card referral links often

3) Design the blog to look sightly less annoying than Dan's Deals

It seems that all the blogs are trying to conform to this standard and the quality of their blogs are going downhill fast. The Frugal Travel Guy use to have a niche in the market, but now everyone is just copying the format. Is it just me? Also, some days on Boarding Area there are 5-8 bloggers with posts the EXACT same content with the only thing different being each bloggers unique referral link.

Credit card referral argument aside, I feel that these 'new' bloggers should take note of these blogs and do something more original and unique with their format:

Loyalty Traveler - Gives an in-depth look and analysis of current travel promotions.

One Mile at a Time - Gives in-depth travel reports of first class travel products.

Million Mile Secret - Not sure how original the content is, but his interviews at times make his blog stand out, but at the same time sometimes he interviews people with travel blogs whom I feel give no unique prospective on travel.

Mommy Points - I think people with children love hearing from other parents. I personally hate hearing people talk about their children, but I can see the market that really enjoys it. She does a great job when posting about her own life experiences. The evidence of this comes from the numerous comments from other parents on her blog. She also did a great job covering the US Grand Slam.