FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Putting a SSD in a MacBook Pro?
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:47 am
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I think the above posted might have been referring to the OWC branded SSD's, their Extreme Pro 6G series SSD's have VERY high read speeds and longer warranties. They are consistently rated very highly for performance speed. they ARE quite expensive though. I think with a nice Kingston V series, or the newer intels, or some of the other SSD's you'll get good reliability for a better price.

That said, the OWC optical bay for a second HDD is very nice and reasonably priced. For the money you might just want to go the ebay route for a cheaper but certainly usable product.

I moved about 1.5 years ago to a 120GB SSD' (actually started at 64GB then moved up) and put the 500GB HDD in the optical bay. I use the optical bay only for some larger applications that don't get much use and then of course MUCH of the photos, music, movies storage. I found 64GB usuable for the primary drive (that has to go in the regular drive bay) but 120GB now is even better (I can load more apps on their to use) and the drive is also much faster. It really is night and day for speed, application performance and even a bit of battery life pop on an aging machine (MBP late 2008)

There are so many online tutorials with images, videos, required tools, links to software apps, etc., you can't really go wrong if you know ANYTHING about computers and hardware dis-assembly

update: here's a nice link with some good info and links

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/01/20/ask-t...-a-regular-hd/

Last edited by nmenaker; Jan 23, 2012 at 10:57 am