FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bye bye Executive Lounge for Golds?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:23 am
colpuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The problem isn't as big as the OP suggests. This is because of the mentality of the US v. EUR.

The US mentality is one of egalitarianism, every one is equal. (Even if some are more equal than others ). While in Europe there is a strong class based mentality. I am not saying one is better than the other, but the differences show in things like the EL.

In the US a lot of hiltons do not have an EL, the ones that do tend to keep to minimum standards for the EL. Elites are barely recognized. It has been just as likely as not that I have been thanked for being a Gold member. Maybe it is the hotel being cheap, or a ton of US elites, but I subscribe to the mentality that it is wrong to be special compared to others.

Now in Europe, there is very strong under-current of class. Elites are recognized and treated very well. Having just got back from ARN and the Hilton there, they rolled out the red carpet. Well, no suite upgrade but I was treated very well. This treatment would be exceptional in the US.

I guess what I am trying to say, Gold and the potential EL access that comes with it is easier to get in the US but means considerably less than it does in Europe.