FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Surfers Paradise {AUS}
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:51 pm
shillard

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
I stayed at this new property last night.

Checkin: The staff are somewhat inexperienced, uniforms reflect the....informal nature of the destination. I waited around 5 minutes to checkin (two agents on the desk), close to 10 minutes to checkout this morning (no express checkout envelope was provided overnight). Much room for improvement.

This inexperience extended to the housekeeping staff - when I ordered a pair of foam pillows (because those I had pre-ordered were not in the room, although this often happens in Australia with room upgrades) a dude arrived with 3 extra towels. They were quickly replaced by the pillows I had requested - but a waste of both my time and his.

HH Recognition & Guestroom: Upgraded to a "Relaxation Suite" from the cheapest online booking (circa AU$210 for a Deluxe Room). King Bed, panoramic ocean view, separate bathroom suite - much like the Relaxation Suites at the SYD Hilton (Deep central bath, separate shower and toilet alcoves). All the usual guff in the room, massive plasma hanging off one wall. Welcome gift was a bucket of ice with 4 beers (two Boags Lite, 2 Fat Yak - nice). Two complimentary water bottles were also provided and Executive Lounge evening drinks & Canapes went from 18:00 - 20:00. Great stuff. The room was, however NOISY. Massive noise pollution from Orchard avenue below - despite the 10th floor location. Double-glazing would be a very welcome modification to the building design. Note that this affliction is likely peculiar to the Hotel Tower - the Residnece/ Apartment tower is set well back from the busiest street sections and many rooms are higher up. The Hotel peaks at 15 levels.

Facilities: Good selection of pools - a 40m outdoor lap pool (more shade would be nice - very exposed), indoor heated 20m pool and spa, and several plunge & kids pools scattered around. Saltwater pools so great for those with a chlorine aversion.

Food: In-room dining selection was pretty broad, my dinner was slow (45 minutes from ordering) but decent enough - comparable to the Brisbane or Adelaide Hiltons. Good wine selection by both the glass and bottle, excellent and (for a hotel) very broad selection of beers. Breakfast in the Exec Lounge was also above-average. Far superior to the BNE Hilton and on par with Sydney. A very large lounge - twice the size of Sydney with great views.

A decent enough hotel and certainly worthy of the brand - if staying with children I STRONGLY recommend opting for the apartments over the hotel rooms.