FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motion Passed: Non-counting of Posts in a Games Forum
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:36 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Consistency, Hello?

Originally Posted by wharvey
If OMNI and OMNI PR posts are going to count, then I believe OMNI Games posts should count. I support the creation of a Games forum... but I am not for going down the inconsistency road again.
The consistency argument is all about a post is a post is a post. Could it be that consistency is never the root cause for all the never-ending debates/discussion/motions about (re)counting OMNI posts?

When not counting OMNI, the pro camp puts the redhair-stepchild card on the table. What about if counting OMNI and having an OMNI spinoff, aka OMNI Game Forum, then supporting a not-counting-Game-Forum motion? Is the hair of Game Forum redder than the "original" redhair stepchild? Would sibling rivalry be a right term to describe this "dynamic?"

When is a post not a post? Who gets to decide? What value should FT assign to post counts, really? I thought there was a saying in English that you can't have the cake and eat it too.

All I can say is feeding medicine with misdiagnoses and/or wrong diagnoses can never be the cure.

Disclaimer:
1. I hate it so very much when OMNI was flooded with all the mushroomed counting games threads.

2. I am not a participant of OMNI games except for the Cities Name Game.

3. I post in OMNI, even though not prolifically, and I am against counting OMNI. Counting or not, my posting pattern in OMNI hasn't changed. I posted in OMNI when it's counting and I didn't/don't stop posting when not counting.

4. I do lounge/contest threads in CommunityBuzz! Forum. As a matter of fact, I earned my job title (see my signature) while engaging in those contest threads. The lounge thread that I participated is the Community Lounge and I don't care if those posts are deducted from my total post count. Seriously. I don't think my posts in those threads are any less valued if they don't count. Really!

5. I stop participating in said lounge thread ( & I am not the only one) when the OMNI counting crew started bashing our m/a/e dynamic and even throwing in moderation issues to spice things up, without distinguishing post padders from lounge thread enthusiasts, while argument should have been made about forum-wise rules (i.e. a counting forum or not) and/or software limitation (can't not counting a thread within a counting forum). IMHO, that (faulty) line of argument has cost the broader FT community spirit, in the name of counting OMNI.