FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:54 am
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by iscor3
I'm still a little confused as to how come you guys would need to split different purchases/payments to different cards?

Card that I'm using: 1. AMEX CX Elite 2. BEA Platinum Visa

I've been using my AMEX card the most for all my purchase and most of my bill payments. Only use the BEA at places that does not accept AMEX and to pay my utility gas and electricity bill (since the amex doesn't credit AM on those transaction)

Am I missing out on potentially gaining more AM by just using two credit cards? I'm trying to limit the amount of credit cards I keep in my wallet...
You're potentially missing out on the following (assuming you never had these cards before):

(I) Overseas: 33% more miles on Fubon Plat ($3/mile) over CX Elite ($4/mile)
(II) Designated travel agents (Lotus, Priceline, Zuji etc): 188% more miles on HSBC 5X* ($2.78/mile)
(III) Supermarket, Dept Store: 167% more miles on Citibank Rewards ($3/mile) over CX Elite or BEA ($8/mile)
(IV) Dining: 100% more miles on Shacom Plat ($4/mile) over CX Elite or BEA ($8/mile)
(V) Other spending: Either 100% more miles on WLB Unionpay ($4/mile) or 33% more miles on DBS Black or Fubon Plat at or over $300 on weekends ($6/mile) over CX Elite or BEA ($8/mile)
(VI) Bill payment (bills you usually pay through PPS - not the autopays I think you're doing with your CX Elite): 33% more miles on Fubon Plat at or over $300 on weekends ($6/mile) over CX Elite or BEA ($8/mile)
(VII) Octopus AAVS: 33% more miles on Bankcomm Diamond Unionpay over BEA ($8/mile)

*HSBC 5X $2.78/mile can also be applied to (I) Overseas, (III) Supermarket/Dept Store or (IV) Dining (non-hotel only) on enrolment (select one only).

Of course you incur more fees for each card you enrol:

Fubon Plat: $150 flat fee/redemption
Citibank Rewards: $50/5,000 miles (min $50)
Shacom Plat: $10/1,000 miles (min $100)
HSBC: $300 for unlimited redemptions in one year
WLB Unionpay: $50/5,000 miles (min $50)
Bankcomm Unionpay: $100 flat fee/redemption
(DBS Black has no fees)

You've got pretty good coverage with the BEA+CX Elite combo for earning miles. Whether you go for the higher earning cards depends on whether your spend will justify the fee you pay. E.g. for me, a higher-earning dining card really pays for itself.