FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Couple of questions RE: unusual itinerary
Old Jan 19, 2012, 4:03 am
Bloomsbury

Couple of questions RE: unusual itinerary

In an attempt to try and please everyone and maximize time/value from an upcoming trip to the US, I have come up with the following cunning itinerary:

Take-off Tue 12:45 LCY London, ENG, United Kingdom
Landing Tue 17:15 JFK New York, NY, United States

Stopover JFK New York, NY, United States 23h 15m

Take-off Wed 16:30 JFK New York, NY, United States
Landing Wed 19:25 LAS Las Vegas, NV, United States

The plan is that I squeeze in dinner & lunch the following day with some friends I haven't seen for a while in NYC during my 23 hour stopover, before heading on to Vegas to attend my friend's birthday celebrations, then on to Chicago for business. Unfortunately, I'll be flying direct from Chicago back to the UK for work, so won't get another chance to stop by NY.

In an ideal world, my checked luggage would still go through all the way to Vegas, rather than me having to take it into NYC. Is this even possible on such a long and overnight stopover?

Also, when it comes to tier points... from what I've read it sounds as though if I book the ticket with BA, my domestic 'First' leg will credit as business tier points, but if I book the ticket with AA I'll get first tier points due to the different booking classes used on the tickets. Is that correct?

Your wisdom, as always, is very much appreciated