View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 12, 1:41 pm
nba1017

Originally Posted by robyng View Post
I usually plan a trip for our anniversary and my birthday first half of September. This year - I don't have any "must go" place in mind - so I'm simply exploring big cities with lots of attractions - excellent dining - etc. Am running into booking problems with some (like Toronto has its International Film Festival that week). And - in New York - although the UN General Assembly doesn't start until 9/15 - and I can leave on 9/14 - some hotels (like the MO) are blocking out rooms for UN people a day or two in advance (although perhaps my travel agent can do something about that).

Before I decide to return to the Four Seasons - I wonder what people think of some other hotels in New York? Note that I need a smoking room - and some of the hotels that came up on my list of "smoking allowed" hotels were the St. Regis (have stayed there before - didn't like it) - The Carlyle - The Mark - The Mercer - The Peninsula - The Pierre (haven't stayed there since it was renovated) - and the Lowell. Would prefer to be in mid-town - but am somewhat flexible.

And - if anyone knows - how much of a zoo is it in New York a day or two before the UN circus comes to town? Robyn

P.S. I want to make this a pretty easy trip - so - right now - I am only looking into north America.
Since you're really just looking for an easy trip to a good city, i'll throw out Chicago as an alternative. Much cheaper, often better, hotels with most of the comparable culture, food, and activity of New York.

Having said that, the newly renovated Pierre has gotten good reviews and the location is about as central as possible. I've stayed at the Plaza Athenee on 64th before and thought it was lovely. I believe they have smoking rooms as well, and many of the suites have balconies. I also love the Trump, though it might not be to your taste.