FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Countdown to A380 (first delivery arrived, 4 July)....
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:10 am
BahrainLad

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Gash
Did not know that - good news, however, who did the styling? IMHO it is not anywhere near as majestic as the B744, in fact it is rather ugly Although, I do not think that makes any part of my decision on which flight to book
Modern aircraft are designed with advanced aerodynamics in mind. The most efficient shape for subsonic cruise over long distances might not necessarily be the most aesthetically attractive.

If you want a graphic representation of this then take a look at the difference between a 747-400 wing (designed by humans using slide rules etc. in 1969) and an A380 wing. The latter is almost a completely different shape.

In fact, I think some of the A380 wing design goes back to pioneering work done by Hawker-Siddely, but I am not entirely sure where I read that.

Edit: I read here http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=...ddeley&f=false that the droop leading edge idea is borrowed from the Trident! I am sure there was something else as well, in terms of the *shape* of the wing...