FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA CLUB Email Security Breached?
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:01 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by gallagtj
I have registered a unique forwarding email address with BA Club as I do for all my commercial and web based communications requiring inbound mail.

Recently I have just started to receive SPAM send to this email address which is then forwarded to me. The email address has only been given to BA CLUB so how/where did the spammer get this address?

I reported the problem to BA and they declared that I 'must be the subject of a random email generator attack on my domain' whilst possible this is unlikely as I am receiving no other SPAM on my 200 forwarding addresses.

The domain sending the spam to my email address is 'rapidsite.net' and I wonder if anybody else has detected this problem.

I have now registered a new more complex email address with BA CLUB to see if this also gets spammed, but have not yet received spam on this new address. I'll let you know if I do.

In the meantime can you please check your spam and let me know if it is arriving from 'rapidsite.net' and delivered to your registered BA Club email adddress.
Welcome to FT. Sorry it's not on a better occaision!

I follow exactly the same procedure as you but have never received spam that could have originated from BA being compromised although I have been able to identify several other compromises from well known companies over the last few months. if you're doing something like [email protected] then I think the most likely source is a lucky hit from a random spam name generator as anything else would have had others posting by now. It won't be your mail server as such.

If it helps you may find that using something like mailwasher pro as your mail receiving software before a fully protected PC mail programme gives a highly secure way of dealing with may before it hits your machine. This adds complete protection to your pc as you delete all stuff before it comes onto your system. You can set up filters to eliminate future spam. Because of the domains I ow,n 95% of stuff coming my way is eliminated by mailwasher pro filters and I don't even see it.