FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:18 am
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Just be sure to note, there will be NO SECURITY with such a solution. It might work for getting around IP routing/streaming issues, but won't offer any security layer protocols-which is why many/most would use a VPN remotely or internationally.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand what Overplay does. Looking at their website, they seem to have a variety of for-real VPN servers on a variety of protocols. These would seem to provide excellent security with standard encrypted tunnels (L2TP, OpenVPN, SSTP).

I don't understand SmartDNS - is it just using a different DNS server? I don't see how that would work with location-restricted content. From what I understand, Hulu/Netflix use IP geolocation so if you connect from a European IP, no matter what DNS server you use, they will see that you're not in the USA and won't let you stream.

On the other hand, a different DNS server might just work for accessing Facebook in a place like China, because I think the Great Firewall is essentially a DNS construct.

Right?