FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong First-timer...
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:12 am
CX HK

First off - welcome (in advance) to Hong Kong! I'll try to answer these things as clearly and concisely as possible, and I hope you find it helpful:

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I land from DPS into HKG at 20:50 (if we are on time) and an trying to decide about transportation between the airport and the hotel. Would the Airport Express and MTR be too much with two cases plus cabin bag? I have looked at the location of the stations and it seems to look like it is a bit of a walk from the MTR to the hotel through tunnels etc...
Are you traveling alone? Two cases plus a cabin bag will be too much to be moving around in the MTR with it's many escalators and trains not designed to hold luggage, but you will be completely fine on the Airport Express. Of course, I've seen people do it before (on the MTR), but it may be much easier on you to simply take the Airport Express to Hong Kong Station and then cab it to the Crowne Plaza.

On the flip side of that, how much, roughly, would a taxi or car be from the airport to the island at that time of night?
You can expect the taxi to be around HK$350.

Typically, what can immigration be like at that time of night?
Relatively smooth I would say, probably a 10 minute wait. HK immigration is extremely quick and efficient.

Now, please don't "flame me" for asking this, but this is the first time I am going East, all be it via the West... But, in Hong Kong, are most things signed in both Chinese and English? I have started doing some basic Chinese language online, but languages were never my strong point...
Yes, as HK was a former British colony, English is an official language here and virtually all signs, MTR stations, whatever, will have both traditional Chinese and English on them. You will be perfectly fine!

Any questions - feel free to ask or even drop me a PM.