FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:59 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Pacific Western was one of the Canadian operators. Did NWT Air even exist in 1974? I think that was all PWA territory back then. The other Canadian carrier was Nordair.

As to the US operators, I remember both Air California and PSA flying their Electras into Lake Tahoe during the 70s, primarily due to a ban on jet traffic at that airport. However, in the March 15, 1974 edition of the OAG, neither airline shows up in the schedules to Lake Tahoe. The other airline to operate an Electra does however, and that was Holiday Airlines.

I have fond memories of my only flight aboard a Reeve Electra, N1968R, the ex-Air New Zealand aircraft. Roomy, comfortable, huge windows and the daughter of our old Ester postmaster providing the great service!

I can remember the disappointment at having to fly on my first Electra back in 1966. We had been screwing around in Phoenix riding horses or something and as a result missed our scheduled flight up to Denver on a Western 720B. I was 8 years old and I was all about jets. Props were boring. Now I often wish I were born 10 or 20 years earlier just for all the great trains and planes that I missed out on. Still, I reckon I did pretty well anyway...

As to those other questions, they are eclectic enough that I'll just give you the answers now:

1.) Which airline operated twice daily 747 service between Chicago and Miami? Delta

2.) Which airline flew once a week 747 service between Houston and Los Angeles? National

3.) Which airline flew 1 stop DC-10 service between Phoenix and Los Angeles? Where was the stop? American ~ Palm Springs

4.) Which airline flew a once daily 747 flight between Chicago to Tampa? Northwest Orient

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 12, 2012 at 11:10 am