FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you be interested in an app that tracks your trip?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:53 pm
mathiasvestergaard

Programs: *G (OZ)
Would you be interested in an app that tracks your trip?

Dear fellow travellers

Some of my very good friends are working on a new app for cell phones that tracks your everyday life, e.g. your position, the music your listen to, your photos etc. with the purpose of giving you an easy way to go back an re-experience your past adventures in a fun and engaging way. It's like a diary or travel log that writes itself.

I think it could be valuable for the leisure traveller and families who want to somehow document their vacation without having to take field notes. With that app they can share their trip with grandma when they get home in an easy way.
But it could also prove to be useful to the business traveller who keeps track of expenses from many different meals, locations, hotels etc. Having an easy way to access where you were at a given time, incl. the picture you took of that receipt which is now missing, could be a life saver in an IRS audit.

In order to get the app out to the public they are investigating potential partnerships with airlines who can offer a free introductory download (on the in flight wifi?) as part of the itinary or boarding pass.

In this regard they are interested in the opinions of travellers and travel industry professionals.

What do you think?

1) would you as a traveller find such a service offer interesting and useful?
2) do you think an airline would find this valuable as they build community?

If the airline could request the user to access (anonymously) some of their tracking data the information gathered could be of enormous value to them: Where passenger come from before arriving at the airport? Did he take the train, bus or car? How long prior to check-in/departure time did he arrive? Did he hire a car upon arrival? Where did he go? etc etc.

Naturally, if any industry people love the idea I can provide introductions. Please PM me.

Thank you for your time and input.
Mathias

p.s.
I have tried to check if this post violates forum policy, e.g. by being "promotional" and thus I have of course removed the name of the app/service. This is not about promotion – it's about feedback and dialogue with potential users. I do apologize if there is some other policy I have overlooked. I am only doing this because I really like the project my friends are doing and I know they would value the feedback they can get in here.