FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VX Virgin - advice
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:14 am
malsf1

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
However, the whole thing in the USA about people carrying the kitchen sink on board the plane has me spooked - one of the touted benefits of MCS is dedicated cabin storage space and I'd rather not have to fight the hordes flouting the cabin bag rules which go unpoliced usually (speaking anecdotally here).

My gut feel was to book the 16:00 flight and there would be no mad and almighty scramble to get the 13:45. There doesn't appear to be a lot to do in T3 however (though plane spotting is always good for me - though my wife has no interest in it whatsoever lol)
First, the carry-on issue you bring up is not only an American problem.. I've seen this same probelm arise in several other countries.

Regarding the "dedicated" overhead bin space.. I have never seen VX enforce this for MCS. Yesterday, I was in 3F (MCS) and saw several people put their bags in my bin and then continue to their seats in the back. However, after several flights on VX, I have only seen one person gate check his bag due to lack of space. My suggestion would be to book MC and try for an upgrade to MCS or F at the gate. I've done this a few times on SFO-LAX flights.