FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest and SFO Mangled my luggage!
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:56 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat13c
I worked in baggage for a while as a CSA. I saw more people have problems with their "high end" luggage than Travel Pro, Traveler's choice, Coleman, and other simular luggage that is use as our trade Bags. When a bag gets caught by a belt system, accidentally dragged, or something heavy damages it when things shift in the cargo hold in the belly of the plane, brand is meaningless. They all damage when s""" happens.

The reason why Southwest offers the brands they do instead of the high end brands is simple. High end or not, luggage is designed to protect the containts as it's only function. When the bag no longer able to protect the contains, then Southwest will provide a replacement or funds for you to buy a replacement. Not to mention, buying a high end piece of luggage is strickly voluntary on the passenger's end.
After years of broken wheels, handles, and latches with my mid level quality luggage, I finally bought some high-quality stuff based on the reviews here. There is a difference.

While protecting the contents is a function, for every week travelers there are other functions that are just as important. Ease of packing and unpacking, how it rolls and ease of handling are all important. My luggage is my mobile bedroom chest of drawers and it is much more than a contents protector. I buy high end luggage because it suits my needs. All of them. And it is not a status thing. After a couple of trips in the belly of the plane any of it looks pretty rough anyway.