FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:52 am
adabsurdum

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Seien Sie vorsichtig!

I booked this ticket (SEA-LAX-ZRH-SFO-SEA) for the weekend of January 21 without any way of checking the fare class, via Vayama. I was unable to bring up the flight on ITA/Matrix. The ticket is managed/marketed by US Airways, but none of the flights are operated by them. The leg to LAX is United. The legs to Switzerland and back are SWISS (L Class), and the leg from SFO to SEA is Alaska.

United Mileage Plus gives credit for L class fares on their own flights, but not for SWISS (or the Miles and More group members). If it turns out otherwise, I will be ecstatic, but I am not planning for it. I'm basically expecting about 800 miles for the leg, making this a too-good-to-pass-this-up 73.5 cents per mile. Woo-hoo!

I have read that Miles and More will give 50% credit for L class fares on SWISS. Does anyone know if you can ask the ticket desk to credit different legs of a flight to different flier mile programs?

If so, I could sign up for Miles and More, and at least have some credit. Who knows? Perhaps they will merge programs some day. Failing that, I could possibly get a free subscription to Popular Mechanics or Austrian VOGUE. At this point, I am going to jaunt over to Vaduz and take advantage of a very expensive opportunity to get a Liechtensteiner passport stamp.

I will give a full report once I get back on what credits to my programs.

In short, be careful with this one. Should you choose to proceed, Haben Sie eine sehr gute Reise!