FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man in southern China dies from bird flu
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:21 am
jiejie

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Yaatri
China Says Man Dies From Bird Flu
The Shenzen man died a week after two dead birds tested +ve for H5N1. A dead bird in Hongkong also tested positive with H5N1.

We have to wait and see if this grows into a problem large wnough to affect air travel. Could we expect sales to Asia like there were some in 2003?
I hope it doesn't get to that point. Please don't think selfishly in terms of your own desires about sales fares to Asia. As somebody who lived through SARS in Beijing in 2003 and was working for a (US) small business at the time, I can tell you that we had no human casualties, but the terrible effect on business for those few months, put us on a downslope that eventually led to the company's demise (and loss of jobs). And even that pales in significance to the sickness and loss of life among those directly affected by the illness....many of whom were health care workers themselves.

Originally Posted by tycosiao
The recurrence timing of H5N1 was somewhat coincidental to the release of the lab evolved bird flu strain.

I wonder..
Red herring. Check history. As long as southern China remains a crowded hotbed of filthy animal husbandry, slaughtering, food sales practices, and lousy human hygiene, it's going to remain ground zero for many of the world's evolving strains of terrible flus. They don't need an artificial lab to wreak havoc.