FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris, I love you, but you need to get a Rudy Giuliani
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:27 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by menton1
No, they'll stick with Bertrand Delanoe, a much better mayor (and person)!

I guess there is always something someone can complain about, but really, most Parisians also pick up after their dogs, and if there is someone inconsiderate the Green Team will get it overnight. There is not the prevalence of dog poo as was years back...

What you also fail to realize is that in Paris, like most of Europe, most folks have monthly passes and do not pay their RATP fare with a single ticket like you do. So what looks like fare-beating to you is NOT! And, they have very diligent Controle agents that go around checking tickets. (Unlike in NY).

P.S. Fare beating remains a problem in New York, BTW...
Thanks for the information. However, I think the dog poo problem unfortunately remains prevalent enough that it makes you have to watch every step you take.

But on the farejumping, really? You've got to be kidding yourself if you cannot see this happening constantly.

Every time I would go through a turnstile at the metro or RER, there would inevitably be someone jumping over one nearby, pushing through one that someone else previously just went through, or just blatantly pulling opening the exit gates to enter illegally.

You're saying that because they have monthly passes, they jump over turnstiles? Doesn't make sense, does it?

By comparison, and I am not from NYC but visit there quite a lot, I have seen perhaps only a handful of incidents of farejumping in 10 years of visiting.

Last edited by TA; Dec 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm