FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CAMBODIA: The Ponheary Ly Foundation
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:55 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for sharing, hiyo, and for taking all those items to Ponheary Ly!

As a Vietnam veteran who has returned to Vietnam and was even able to honor some colleagues who were killed there, Cambodia was a much more emotional, "gut-wrenching" experience for me - visiting the Chao Ponhea Yat high school / S-21 "Security Centre 21" torture center / Museum of Genocide in Toul Sleng, the killing fields (including the Choeung Ek extermination center many from S-21 were sent to), listening to the music of the amputeee band... in juxtaposition with the scenery of the Tonle Sap, the cultural wonders of Angkor... truly mind-boggling.

The idea of children killing children with tree limbs, the extirpation of entrepreneurs, doctors, social workers, architects, teachers, etc. is nearly beyond conception.

People like Ponheary Ly and Lori Carlson are truly inspirational. Ponheary Ly herself is an amazing woman and what she has done - empowering the next generations of Cambodians to become educated and re-establish the brain infrastructure to rebuild Cambodia - is what will work in this recovering land, and Lori Carlson has provided a truly catalytic presence.

As the new year approaches, it reminds me it is time to support the Ponheary Ly Foundation and Cambodia's future once again.

I will match FlyerTalk members' contributions through 31 Jan 2012 up to a total of USD $500.

Post your contribution here, or PM me.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm Reason: extend challenge date