FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - On the Uselessness of Avios
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:57 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
No Avios complaints from me either...

I managed to get in my CX redemption before the change and got the JFK-YVR-HKG-DPS-HKG-SFO in F (J on the DPS sectors) for 150k miles and £238.10 in taxes fees and charges. Also, looking for award availability to come back from the US, I can travel in F for 60k instead of it being 75k if I want to which is a saving of 15k points... I think it is great.
Imagine you have not redeemed this before the change, and you still would like to fly this route, would you still think Avios are great?

If you think the change is great, why would you redeemed the flights before the change?

Obviously one works within the program rules and find the strength, avoid the weakness at any given time.

The program in the past is never a great program due to the YQ, but if one could work in multiple stopovers, and take advantage of certain odd balls in how regions are defined (the most obvious of course is IPC), then in certain cases, it can be a great program. However in most other cases it is just a so-so program.

Fast forward to now, it is a great program for the ultra-shorthaul, single segment, last minute redemption. It truly save a ton of money in those scenario. It allows ultra flexibility when availability is not an issue. And with that 4500 to 10000 one-way cost, I feel very giddy looking at our xxx,xxx stash.